13 is . . .
- the beginning of something new.
- bold, confident.
- excited about opening presents, but trying not to show it.
- letting your little brother sit on your lap to help you open presents--partly to shield you from your audience, but mainly because, in your words, he was the best thing about 12.
- discovering more about who you are.
- confusing and challenging.
- gracious about a slightly singed cheesecake.
- a hollow leg to fill to feed that jumble of growing mind and body.
- still very young (to us old people).
- exasperating at times.
- here much too soon.
Happy Birthday, Jr.!